Awhile back I wrote a post about the amazing benefits of coconut oil titled “Nuts Over Coconuts.” I wanted to share with you more research I read this morning about just how good coconut oil is for your health. This information is from Green Med Info.
13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties of Coconut Oil:
- Fat-Burning: There are 2 studies showing that 2 tbsp. a day of coconut oil can reduce belly fat in 1-3 months.
- Brain-Boosting: Cognitive improvement has been shown in studies of alzheimer’s disease patients
- Clearing Head Lice: Coconut oil + anise spray works better than the insecticide permethrin
- Healing Wounds: Coconut oil has been used as a healing agent for centuries
- NSAID Alternative: Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and fever-reducing properties
- Anti-Ulcer Activity: Coconut oil has been shown to be as effective as the conventional drug sucralfate as an NSAID-associated anti-ulcer agent.
- Anti-Fungal: Coconut oil is natures anti-fungal. It especially works against drug-resistant Candida species.
- Testosterone-Booster: It reduces oxidative stress in the testes of rats, which increases testosterone levels. Low testosterone has become a big problem over the years. Most people don’t realize that theirs is low.
- Reducing Swollen Prostate: Coconut oil lowers testosterone-induced benign prostate growth in rats.
- Improving Blood Lipids: Improves cholesterol (LDL:HDL ratio). Coconut oil is a saturated fat that unclogs arteries.
- Fat Soluble Nutrient Absorption: Improves tomato carotenoid absoption
- Bone Health: Lowers oxidative stress inside the bone, which can possibly reduce structural damage in osteoporotic bone.
- Sunscreen: Blocks out UV rays by 30%; Coconut oil is great to use for short-term sun exposure (just enough to get your vitamin D but not get burnt).
I even rub coconut oil all over my baby after his baths. It’s a great moisturizer and great for his immune system.
For the full article, including all the links to the research behind all of this, go here.
If you need help choosing the right coconut oil (and at the cheapest price), click here.
Enjoy this God-given miracle food!
Kristen M. Pardue, RD, LDN, CLC